Tuesday 9 March 2010

The joys of quilling in black and white

Over the past week or so, I've been fascinated by the idea of using black and white photos as backgrounds, with just a small section of colour picked out.

So I've created these two cards as an experiment. I used the iPhoto software on my Mac to convert two of my own photos to monochrome. Then, using the Pages word processing software, I pulled the images into pre-defined shapes before printing them on to the front of the cards. I used brush marker pens to colour in a single section of each picture, before adding some small quilled details (hooray - I'm back to quilling again!!)



I think this technique has potential to create some unusual and eye-catching cards. It could be used for framed pictures, too, so I'm glad that I gave it a try.

Also today, I finally decided to make use of a quilled butterfly that's been lying around on my table for ages. I had originally used light green and purple strips to make the wings (inspired by the colours of a sea anemone!), but I thought the end result was actually a little bit dull on the brown body. So today, I 'gilded' the whole butterfly with metallic and glitter gel pens, which brightened it up quite well.  And I found just the right background to mount it on, in order to create this card. So my butterfly has a home at last!

3 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails