Monday 16 August 2010

More coffee jar quillings for paperweights

A while ago, I started experimenting with resin casting techniques for making paperweights, and I had a go at making one out of a glass coffee jar lid. On that occasion, I ended up embedding a paper rose in the resin, using the glass lid as a permanent mould - and I've been stockpiling the lids ever since!

Finally, I've got around to using them - and this time I've hit on something simpler that doesn't require the use of resin.


For this one, I simply made a quilled motif to fit inside the lid, and glued it on to the inside of the glass, retaining the plastic lid seal for use as a base. It's not as heavy or reflective as a proper resin-cast paperweight, but I think it still looks quite effective. Here's a side-view:


I've also used another lid to store some of my stash of unused quillings (which will probably never get used, but I didn't want to throw them away!!) I think they make quite an eye-catching, multi-coloured jumble of shapes inside the glass container. Well, it looks good in my craft room, anyway!

6 comments:

  1. What a fabulous idea! I actually love the one with all the bits in, very colourful.
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a clever idea. And I also like the second one with the assortment inside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like my display of 'oddments' is a big hit!! Thanks, Rosie and Ann.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Besides doing quilling you also recycles ...
    Great idea and the effect is very beautiful!
    A good week for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your idea!, I too love your multicoloured jumble of shapes .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I've just finished another jar of coffee, so I'll try and find another colourful mixture to put inside the lid! Thanks for all your comments.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails